Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani is one of the most traditional and authentic Indian Mughlai dish with chicken pieces, layers of fluffy basmati rice, fragmented spices, fried onions and desi ghee. It is the most popular dish and can be made at any occasion.
Chicken Dum Biryani
• Chicken with bone 750gm
• Soaked Basmati Rice 1 1/2 cup
• Oil 1 tbsp
• Ghee ½ tbsp
• 1 Tomato – Medium Chopped
• 1 Onion – Medium Chopped
• Red chilli powder 1 tsp
• Turmeric powder ½ tsp
• Coriander powder 1 tsp
• Garam masala powder 1 tsp
• Salt as per taste
• Yoghurt ¾ cups
• Ginger garlic paste 1 ½ tbsp
• Chopped Coriander leaves 4 tbsp
• Mint leaves 4-5
• Black Cardamom 1
• Green Cardamom 2-3
• Bay Leaf 1
• Cinnamon sticks ½ inches
• Saffron ½ tsp
• Milk 1 tbsp
• Fried Onions For Biryani :
Heat oil in a pan or kadhai on a medium flame. Add medium sliced onion in the pan and fry it until it is crispy golden brown. Drain the onions on the paper towel and set it aside.
• Saffron Milk Preparation :
Take warm milk and dissolve some saffron in it and keep it aside so that it can be used for making biryani later.
• Marination Preparation for Chicken Dum Biryani:
1. Take a bowl and add chicken pieces, yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, mint leaves in a bowl.
2. Also add some handful of fried brown onions to the chicken as it gives a different flavour to the marination.
3. Now, mix it well & keep aside for at least 15-20 minutes so that it will marinate well
• Rice Preparation for Chicken Dum Biryani:
1. Soak Basmati rice for half an hour & drain the excess water.
2. Take a pan & add water and heat it.
3. To add flavour to the water add black cardamom, few green cardamom pods of which remove the outer covering and add it.
4. Also add a bay leaf and a small piece of cinnamon.
5. Let this water come to boil.
6. Add some salt and add it in little more quantity so that it is the proportion to the water and not the rice.
7. Add more water in the rice and when water comes to boil add soaked basmati rice into it.
8. Don’t cook the rice completely that is 100%, just cook it to 70-80%.
9. Now check the rice. When you press it between the fingers you will feel that it is almost cooked but still has a little bit in the centre. This is all you have to cook it.
10. Now turn off the gas and drain the rice. Now transfer the rice into another bowl.
11. Now the rice is ready and the chicken has been marinating well for about 15 minutes.
• Biryani Preparation:
1. Take a biryani pot and heat it and keep it on a medium flame.
2. Add some ghee and add little oil.
3. Add marinated chicken in the pot.
4. When you put the chicken in the pot move it to the sides of the pan and make a small space in between because the flame is usually hottest in the centre and there are chances of biryani getting slightly burnt and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Add medium chopped tomatoes. Now add and spread ¾ cooked rice layers over the chicken.
6. After adding the rice adds saffron, fried brown onions without which the biryani is incomplete. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and mint leaves.
7. Pour the dissolved saffron milk over the biryani as it has a great colour. It will give biryani a good colour.
8. Add a few dollops of ghee on the top of the rice but in a few places. This is because when biryani is cooked on dum the rice on top doesn’t dry too much. The ghee helps to keep it moist.
9. Sprinkle some salt so that the rice on top doesn’t taste flavourless. The good tip is to make sure your biryani is never low on salt.
10. Cover the pot with lid and turn the flame to low medium and let the rice cook this on Dum for at least 20-30 minutes.
11. After 30 minutes turn off the gas and let the biryani stay covered for another 5 minutes.
12. Serve hot in a plate along with Raita, Chicken curry.
• Important Points to Remember :
When you make a chicken biryani use a heavy bottom pot or the chicken pieces can be burnt.
When you are making biryani try to use chicken with bone because it adds the additional flavour of the bones makes the rice in the biryani taste even better.